Fill tutorial question

Seek and you shall find

Fill tutorial question

Postby readchapter3 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 am

I just downloaded Inkscape, installed and tried out your "fill" tutorial using "Hatches" on a rectangle. It worked perfectly the first time! I converted the EXP output into the format I need for my machine using the free program Wilcom Truesizer. Next I tried a star, and what I found is that Inkscape makes a couple of different paths; the individual paths are broken into a couple of them at the corners of the star. Wilcom displays each of these paths as a different color thread :) which isn't quite what I'd intended. Do you know of a simple way to change this behavior?
readchapter3

Re: Fill tutorial question

Postby svg2embr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:04 pm

I think I would have joined the separate paths that Inkscape create to control the pathway for the needle so that it will not be a big jump between the paths f.x. If you join the paths they will show up as one color. See the post of the corrupted colors under the Error reports.

To join the paths they need to be combined (maybe they are already - else mark both paths and press ctrl+k). Then you need to join the separte paths trough the loose end nodes by selecting them and pressing the button for joining nodes (upper left corner section in Inkscape).

Did you understand this quick explanation?
Working mother of two.
Sewing on Singer Futura C-350.
svg2embr
Site Admin

Postby readchapter3 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

I think so, thank you!

This program looks like it's going to be fun, thanks for writing it!
readchapter3

Postby readchapter3 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for your help before. I have the same question, but now I have like a million paths to join. I rendered this jpeg of sandhill cranes http://www.mediafire.com/view/iiit03it3ixth/Documents# into this SVG file http://www.mediafire.com/download/ynm0z ... dhill2.svg. I'd like to embroider it onto a shirt for a birdwatcher friend :)

I used the Inkscape "trace bitmap" function (Shift+Alt+B) with edge detection to turn the edges of the sandhill cranes into a single PATH element. The result isn't perfect but it's not bad either.

If I look at the SVG source code I see there's a bunch of m's, c's, l's and z's in the path element.

Can you think of a quick way to connect the dots?
readchapter3

Postby svg2embr » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 pm

The only quick way is to embroider only the paths, i.e. the outline of all the filled black regions. I guess that will not at all give you the result you want. To get this image into something embroiderable I think it's a great deal of work. First I would simplify a great deal of the small details and change some paths. Then it will be a lot of work defining in which order all the filled regions has to be sewn and in which direction your fill will be. If you are a beginner I'd say you should start with something easier to see more how it works and what is possible. I don't even think that the commercial embroidery-softwares will give you a quick and good solution for this image as it is now with so many details.
Working mother of two.
svg2embr
Site Admin

Postby readchapter3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes -- I can see now that it'd be kind of silly to try to order these paths by hand. I guess what's needed is to postprocess the SVG file using a script so that all of the paths are in the right order and can be combined with short little line segments. Not sure how hard that'd be yet ... ;)
readchapter3

Postby svg2embr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Maybe one could write an Inkscape extension to somehow automate the path order so that it is based on nearest neighbour.
Working mother of two.
svg2embr
Site Admin

Return to I have a question